Masons is a family owned and operated freehold pub.
Now established as a friendly cosy Inn where you can relax by our log stoves, enjoy one of our real ales or spend time making the most of the heated covered outdoor terrace. We are wet coat & muddy boot friendly. Well behaved dogs are welcome. Our dedicated kitchen team are focused on delivering quality traditional pub food prepared fresh each day. We work with seasonal ingredients as much as possible and source your food from our local award winning Artisan baker, butcher & fishmonger..
Masons Freehouse - History
The Masons Arms began as a Beerhouse in the 1840’s, it wasn’t there in 1841 but is registered in the 1851 census return.
It began as a single room in a cottage on the New Road. It was founded by Joseph Gillbanks, a stone mason, and he used the field behind the inn to store his stone and carve his gravestones and other masonry. In 1876 there were three Beerhouses in Ingleton: Oddfellows Arms, Craven Heifer, and the Masons Arms. Later Tom Matthew, Gillbanks son-in-law took over as landlord of the inn. Joseph Gillbanks was born 20 November 1801 and died 28 November 1886. He is buried in Thornton churchyard. Tom Matthewman would have done better selling ale than chipping stone as he succumbed to silicosis and died at the age of 47 on 14 May 1894. He is also buried in Thornton churchyard and lies under a stone which he made himself. The Third Entry in the 1871 Ingleton Census was the Masons Arms. The first was the Field and second the Ingleboro’ Brewery which was in Brewery Lane (now Laundry Lane) William Wignall ‘Brewer’ ran the brewery. Joseph Gillbanks was still the landlord of the Masons Arms. By 1881 Tom Matthewman who was born in Huddersfield was the landlord at the age of 32 and his employment was given as Marble Mason. Tom Matthewman was still the landlord in 1891, but his main employment was given as ‘monumental mason’.